Sandwiches can get kind of boring when you eat them day in and day out. But what is a mom to do when she is looking for new ideas for the kids’ lunches? Below are a couple of recipes from Maria Zoitas, creator of Westside Market NYC’s “Maria’s Homemade” line of prepared foods, all which can be prepared quickly, easily and on a budget. Even if you don’t include these in school lunches, they would be great for the whole family, for lunch or even dinner! The leftovers can even be sent to school. There are lots of options!
- ¼ cup plus 2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, cut into cubes
- 1 small zucchini cut in cubes
- 1 seeded and cubed red bell pepper
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 TSP Italian herb seasoning
- 1 cup blanched broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package (9-ounce) fresh cheese tortellini. Cook these according to package directions.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet, then add zucchini and eggplant. Cook 5 minutes. Add red pepper and cook for another minute.
Whisk balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, in large bowl. Add broccoli, cooked veggie mixture and tortellini. Toss well and refrigerate before serving.
CHICKEN AVOCADO WRAPS
- 2 cups cooked chicken (chopped)
- ½ cup red pepper, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ½ TSP hot pepper sauce
- 1 avocado, (peel and dice)
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 lettuce leaves (Boston or red leaf)
Combine first four ingredients in a medium bowl and toss thoroughly. Add the diced avocado and toss again. Lay out tortillas and evenly divide the chicken mixture on top of each tortilla. Top the tortilla/chicken with a lettuce leaf. Roll up the tortillas and cut each in half.
*I was not compensated in any way for posting these recipes. I am simply sharing with my readers.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.