If you are on the hunt for speedy dinner ideas, this Simple Instant Pot Stroganoff Recipe is perfect for a busy night.
Using the pressure cooker is a great way to get dinner done fast. You should consider adding some Ground Beef Recipe Ideas to your meal plan. And the best part? You can make stroganoff without making a roux!
This recipe does not use any cream of mushroom soup, and uses basic ingredients you likely have in your pantry and fridge. If you have hamburger meat on hand that you want to use up, check out these easy ground beef recipes.
Let’s take a look at the ingredients you will need to create this simple hamburger stroganoff.
Potholders Set Trivets Set 100% Pure Cotton Thread Weave Hot Pot Holders Set (Set of 3) Stylish Coasters, Hot Pads, Hot Mats,Spoon Rest For Cooking and Baking by Diameter 7 Inches (Gray)KitchenAid Asteroid Cotton Pot Holders with Silicone Grip, Set of 2, Aqua
Ingredients Needed for Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff:
- ground beef (you can use ground turkey instead if you want)
- olive oil
- small onion
- mince garlic (we use the jarred stuff)
- thyme (fresh or dry)
- sliced mushrooms
- dry onion soup mix
- beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce
- plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- wide egg noodles
- salt and pepper,
- green onions (for garnish totally optional)
How to Make Stroganoff in the Pressure Cooker:
First, we need to brown the ground beef. Did you know we can do this in the Instant Pot?
Add the insert to the IP and choose the saute function. Toss in the olive oil, garlic and onion. Cook it for about 2 minutes letting it get tender.
Now you can add the ground beef to the insert. I have a meat chopper that I like to use when Im cooking any ground meat.
Meat Chopper & Masher -Multi Use: Avocado, Potatoes etc. Dishwasher SafePremium Heat Resistant Meat Chopper, Masher & Smasher for Hamburger Meat, Ground Beef, Turkey & More, Hamburger Chopper Utensil, Ground Beef Chopper Tool & Meat Fork – by Zulay Kitchen
As the meat browns I use the chopper and it makes the ground meat super fine and takes the clumps out. I highly recommend using one!
Once the beef is browned, add in the mushrooms, onion soup mix, thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
Continue to simmer for about 2 minutes letting the mushrooms become tender.
Now you want to add the uncooked noodles to the pot.
Pour in the beef broth.
Pop the lid on the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
When the cook time is over, let it naturally release for the first five minutes.
After the five minutes are up, you can do quick release.
Carefully take the lid off. Be careful because there will be a lot of steam.
Toss in the yogurt or sour cream.
Stir to combine the yogurt or sour cream until the dish is smooth and creamy.
Plate it up and garnish with the green onions.
This meal can be done in 30 minutes or less, even with your pressure cook time. Such a yummy dinner. If you want to save time cooking dinner during the week, I encourage you to begin making Instant Pot recipes.
More Instant Pot Dinner Recipes:
- Ground Beef Hash
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Hamburger Soup
- Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops
- Instant Pot Tilapia Lime Tacos
- Instant Pot Taco Meat
17 Pcs Accessories for Instant Pot, EAGMAK 6, 8 Qt Pressure Cooker Accessories – 2 Steamer Baskets, Non-stick Springform Pan, Egg Bites Mold, Egg Rack, Steamer Trivet, Egg Beater, Oven Mitts (Green)Accessories for Instant Pot, Sugaroom 100 PCS Pressure Cooker Accessories Set Compatible with Instant Pot Accessories 6 qt 8 quart-2 Steamer Baskets, Springform Pan, Egg Rack, Egg Bites Mold and More
Can You Substitute Heavy Cream for the Plain Yogurt or Sour Cream?
You can! It won’t be as lean as using plain yogurt but you can use heavy cream. It will give it a rich flavor. I suggest adding the heavy cream to the pot after removing the insert from inside the pressure cooker. This will help prevent curdling.
What Beef is Best for Stroganoff?
Using ground beef is a less expensive option for this recipe, but it also cooks really quickly. That said, any of these cuts of beef can work:
- Top Sirloin
- Boneless Ribeye
- Beef Tenderloin
- Filet Mignon tips
- Stew Meat
How Do You Make Beef Stroganoff Less Salty?
If you accidentally add too much salt or feel like the recipe turned out too salty for your taste, add in 1 teaspoon of sugar or one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Pressure Cooker
- 1.5 pounds ground beef (you can use ground turkey instead if you want)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion small
- 1 T garlic minced
- 1 t fresh thyme
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 pkg dry onion soup mix
- 4 cups beef broth
- t T Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup plain yogurt (you can use sour cream instead)
- 16 oz wide egg noodle
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onions (optional) chopped, for garnish
- Choose the saute function on your IP. Toss in the olive oil, garlic and onion. Cook it for about 2 minutes letting it get tender.
- Add the ground beef to the insert. Cook until browned.
- Once the beef is browned, add in the mushrooms, onion soup mix, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer for about 2 minutes letting the mushrooms become tender.
- Add the noodles. Pour in the beef broth. Pop the lid on the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the cook time is over, let it naturally release for the first five minutes. After the five minutes are up, you can do quick release. Remove the lid.
- Toss in the yogurt or sour cream. Stir to combine the yogurt or sour cream until the dish is smooth and creamy.
- Plate it up and garnish with the green onions.