This Gourmet Beef Stroganoff Recipe with Meatballs is a keto-friendly take on a traditional Russian dish.
I love this ground hamburger recipe idea and so do my boys!
When you serve this beef stroganoff recipe over cauliflower rice, you avoid so many unnecessary carbs, without sacrificing delicious flavor or filling starch!
The main ingredients of this stroganoff are beef, onions, mushrooms, and garlic. The dish is then cooked with sour cream to give it a delicious gravy.
Ingredients for This Recipe:
The long list of ingredients can seem overwhelming but do not panic about it. Honestly, most of the items on the list are probably already in your pantry.
Some of the items from the list include an affiliate link to Amazon.
- ground beef
- ground sausage
- pork rinds
- parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- beef broth
- sour cream
- dijon mustard
- Worchestershire sauce
- arrowroot powder (optional)
Tools Needed to Make Meatball Stroganoff:
Take a peek into my kitchen. 🙂 These are the tools I used to make this quick dinner recipe.
This keto-friendly recipe is full of flavor and will make you feel like you are eating a gourmet dinner, but it can also be modified to lower the calories or remove the keto-friendly aspect.
Beef and pork can be costly ingredients in your favorite dishes and they can also add a lot of calories to your meal. By replacing the ground beef with ground turkey or chicken, you’ll lower the calories and save money!
Another way to lower the calories is to make baked meatballs instead of cooking the meatballs in grease.
This dish is perfect for those who are looking to maintain a keto lifestyle. However, by serving this yummy dish over wide egg noodles, you can enjoy a more traditional stroganoff!
To make it truly gourmet, grind a beef tenderloin up for this easy meatball recipe.
Can I freeze Beef Stroganoff?
You can. However, I am not a fan of what happens to sour cream when frozen. It separates and becomes kind of gritty. So, personally, I would only freeze the meatballs, then make the sauce at dinnertime.
When you get to “set aside” in step 5, simply allow the meatballs to cool before putting them into a freezer ziplock bag. Make sure to remove all the air to avoid freezer crystals.
When ready to use the ground beef balls, simply poke a few small holes into the bag and stick the frozen meatballs in the microwave at half power for about 5 minutes. Then, carry on with the remaining steps of this yummy comfort food!
Make it a meal:
With meats, veggies, starch, and dairy this easy meatball recipe is a full meal all on its own. However, I understand if you want to round it out. My mother has always been an “a dish of every color” hostess, so I get it. Trust me! 🙂
The following items will pair very well with this beef stroganoff with meatballs recipe.
Side – Because this dish is on the heavy side, you will want to pair it with a super-light side dish. I personally think this Baked Parmesan Asparagus goes very well with it.
Dessert – Because this is kind of fancy, you probably do not want to overdo it on the dessert. These grab-and-go No Bake Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies are the perfect sweet ending to this delicious dinner.
Bread – These Cranberry Hot Cross Buns will add a new element of flavor when used to sop up some of the stroganoff gravies.
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to rate it below!
Stroganoff Meatballs Recipe
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ground pork rinds or more as needed
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon oil
For the sauce:
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 lb mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 ½ cup beef broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- Worchestershire sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley optional garnish
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot powder optional for thickening
- Heat your oil and butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the beef, sausage, egg, mayonnaise, pork rinds, parmesan, and salt and pepper.
- Form meat mixture into 1 to 2 Tablespoon large meatballs.
- It will take about 8-10 minutes to cook the meatballs, so I use this time to measure out my other ingredients and chop the vegetables.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook until browned all over, turning every 2 minutes.
- Cook the onions until translucent, then add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the beef broth.
- Stir in the sour cream and dijon mustard, and Worchestershire sauce to taste.
- Add the meatballs back in and allow the sauce to cook and thicken, 3-5 minutes. If you want the sauce thicker, remove 1/2 cup of the sauce and whisk a Tablespoon of arrowroot powder to that sauce, then stir back into the skillet.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley.
More Stroganoff Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Skillet Hamburger Stroganoff
- Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- Creamy Beef Stroganoff